Monday, June 20, 2011

Ready

I'm ready for that pony and those goats to get here already!

Chad and my dad have gotten 90% of the work done that needs to be done for them to get here!  Okay, maybe 75%.  But things look a lot better than they had and there are now sleeping quarters and doors that open and close and fences and gates.  We need to load up the barn with some straw and sweet feed, some more buckets (you can't have too many buckets on a farm), and get Chad some more Wranglers.  Our lives are about to get dirty, very dirty.  As if life with Gigi and Lola weren't dirty enough.  Now if we could just win the lottery so that Chad could quit his job and be here with me 24/7.  Because of the dirt, ya know.     

I've talked with two people about acquiring barn cats. Cats who will live solely in the barn with the goats and the pony and hopefully keep the mice away and while keeping themselves away from wily raccoons, opossums and coyotes.  So far I have three barn cats on hold.  Haven't seen any of them yet, but I'm sure they will be great.  I'll have to try extra hard not to let them into the house.        

I have found this great cookbook that coincides with a great blog by this gal Ree in Oklahoma who goes by The Pioneer Woman.  I'm so intrigued by her way of life and it inspires me to get dirty and get my camera out and to make some biscuits.  All of these things are possible for me and my life is just going to get busier and busier.  I can't wait...

I wish more folks would stop by our farm.  Maybe after the pony and the goats get here things will liven up more in terms of guests.  I invite people all of the time.  Have always said "there is an open invitation to come on down!," but get no takers.  Maybe I'm the only one who delights in the early morning dew on the lilies in the yard or who can sit and wait and wait and wait and wait for a sighting of this year's fawn in the side yard.  To drink some lemon tea on the deck of the pool while watching the kids swim.  Maybe it's just me and my own selfsh love for this place.  The country isn't for everyone.  I know, I know.  Besides, everyone is so busy these days.  But I always tell people, visiting Cheshire Farm is like a mini vacation in itself.  So once again, the invite is out for all.   

I'm ready.  I'm ready for visitors.  Ready to take on this life as a farm animal owner.  To scoop the poop, fill the hay feeder in the winter (after trudging to the barn in the snow), and give a critter or two a good skritch on the head.      




No comments:

Post a Comment