Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Mother in Me

I want to get that book that caused so much fanfare and unrest in the parenting world a few months ago, Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.  I'm a bit behind in my leisure reading, I've been amassed with "cancer and your child" books for the last 8 months. I've heard that there are a lot of things within the Tiger Mother book that aren't so horrible for Western parents to witness.  That maybe it can be an eye opener for all of us.  I want my kids to succeed.  I want them to be spewing with knowledge and have the ability to play a piano piece with much more lilt than I ever could.  I want them to go to college at Northwestern so I can visit and get a bubble tea at the same time.  I want, want, want for them, but there are also things that I draw the line at while they are young...

*we will not be in possession of a large trampoline - fear of broken necks 
*we will not have little atv things to drive around in the yard  - fear of more broken necks
*we will not give the girls carbonated beverages until at least the age of 14 and then only if they just HAVE to have it - fear of stunted growth and cavities  
*we will not allow the girls to get their ears pierced until they are 13 years old - because mom has enough to do without having to worry about infected ears
*we will not allow them to wear inappropriate clothing choices out in public - fear of lack of respect for themselves
*no boyfriends until high school, preferably the last semester of the 12th grade - fear of testosterone and it's distraction

It's scary enough for me that we have a pool (fear of drowning) and that we are getting a pony (fear of swift kick to the head or falling from horse onto said head.) 

I have learned that time is fleeting and anything can spring out at you from a dark corner and make you pee your pants.  Life can change in an instant.  Scary things are everywhere.  Scary things are happening to us right now.  

I want these two girls that once lived in my body for nine months to live to be successful, happy old women.  To get there in one piece.  To be together in their hearts forever.  Playing each other a favorite piece on the piano. 

Zoe has a rough and tumble road ahead of her.  Gigi needs to be on her game, too. 
I'll be with them the whole time during the formative years, hoping to help shape them into their future selves. 

I don't think that I'm a Tiger Mother, but I would like to maybe be a Serval Mother.   


        

No comments:

Post a Comment