Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Poem Can Be So Much More...

April is National Poetry Month. 

While I am more attuned to reading a novel, even a good biography from time to time, there is a place for poems in my life. 

Everyone starts out in this world learning poems, nursery rhymes.  Little Miss Muffet, Baa Baa Black Sheep.  I've told them to my own girls. 

Later on I was introduced to Shel Silverstein by my grandmother.  She bought me "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and I fell madly in love with that bald bearded man.  

I was introduced to Frost, Tennyson and a myriad of others in college.  I'll never forget a professor I had in college and the way he would draw out Tennyson's name...Alfred, Looooord Tennyson.  It was great.   

While living in Chicago in the early 90's I found Charles Bukowski.  He'll take you on one hell of a ride.  Wow.     

But while devouring and sometimes seeing myself in a poem as an adult, I always ALWAYS came back to Shel Silverstein. 

So, in honor of National Poetry Month I want to share with you my favorite poem...ever...

Invitation

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, 
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

Shel Silverstein
Where The Sidewalk Ends
1974
  

No comments:

Post a Comment