Thursday, July 8, 2010

Homemade

So, I ran out of bread today and decided to just make my own. I thought briefly of running to the store, but decided against dealing with the yahoos who hog the entire lane with their cart and then wonder "Someone else is in this store and they want to go down this aisle, too? How dare they!" Not to mention the fact that going most places with Gigi and Zoe involves quick paced maneuvering through the lanes of ice cream bars and oddly placed bouncy balls next to the soup cans, all the while trying to keep Gigi in the cart and listening to Zoe say "but why can't I get more gum/lip gloss/disposable cameras/tiny boxes of bugles?"

So, I decided to make my own bread today.

It was quite simple...yeast, water, sugar, salt, flour, honey, milk, egg yolks. Baked at 350 for 45 minutes. The only down side of baking is the rise time. I really don't like the waiting involved with the rise time. I am always afraid I will forget that I have even started making bread and the next time I look at it the dough will be the size of a laundry basket.

My parents took us out for pizza tonight. While we were eating I should have had the bread in the oven to bake, I had to leave it an extra hour on the counter. I had my fingers crossed that all would be fine. I once made a few loaves of this delicious Cheddar Chive bread that I have a recipe for (I got it out of the Chicago Tribune YEARS ago and it's now my traditional Thanksgiving and Easter dish!) and it got left out by a very sunny window for too long and it rose way too much and it ended up looking like I do when I wear jeans that are too snug and my belly hangs over the belt loops...

Well, it was fine when I got home so I popped it into the oven and it looks and smells delicious.

Sure beats going to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment