Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sparkle and Twinkle

I am a total sucker at this time of year for Christmasy catalogs from places like Crate and Barrel and Ballard Designs.
I go gaga over really nice home decor for the holidays.
The wreaths, the garland, the unnecessary punch bowls with even more unnecessary wooden beverage labels that say punch or eggnog that get tied with a satiny ribbon to said punch bowl.
I want it all.
I could spend all day long at the Crate and Barrel on Clybourn in Chicago.
Make a day of it.  
Or at Old Orchard where I could also check out the displays at Nordstrom. 
Christmas in Chicago is beautiful.
I sure do miss that. 
We have taken the train up at Christmas time with the kids a few times.  
Walked around amongst the snowflakes, went to Marshall Fields (now Macy's) to see the window displays, all of the trees are lit up with white glittery lights, the atmosphere is so great.
Last year Zoe and I went up right before New Year's Eve.  
Spent the evening with our buddy Jake and then rang in the New Year with our friends in Evanston, Charlotte Brownie and Zane.  
She and I decided to take a walk over to the American Girl store before we went home. 
We parked about four blocks away (mama does street parking downtown if at all possible, makes me not feel like a visitor!) and had a great walk with the lake in view and the store was pretty empty on New Year's Day.  
I love taking my kids to Chicago around the holidays.
There's a magic there that's not felt in our own small town.
I love to see them gaze up at the skyscrapers and then wave to the police officers on horses that trot by.  
Take a trip up there yourself or if you live there take a day to go downtown to see the sparkle.
It's the most wonderful time of the year.    
  


No comments:

Post a Comment