Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tooth Decay Day

Once in a young lifetime one should
be allowed to have as much
sweetness as one can possibly want and hold.
~Judith Olney


When I was a youngster, we had a candy making party at my grandmother's house at Christmas time.
All of my cousins would come and my grandmother's family from her first husband
(who had died in the war) participated as well.
It was a real hootenanny.
We pulled taffy, made divinity and decorated cavity-causing delights.
A few years ago my cousin Ellen and I decided to reinstate the candy making party
and to even do it at it's original location.
That would be my house.


So, the festivities are once again in full swing.
We don't make divinity anymore and use the microwave more than in the past.
We tried taffy a few years ago, but found it's much easier to just buy it at the store.
We have loads of fun making more than we can eat, tooth decay lest you not
brush your teeth, ooey and gooey and marshmallowey goodies.


We did have to forgo the party last year because Zoe was quarantined and couldn't really be around too many people because her chemotherapy dropped her immunity so low.
BUT, that was last year and this is now and she had a blast with her cousins.
Just like I used to as a kid.
We are going to keep this tradition up until Ellen and I are gray-haired and wearing polyester suits.  
Cousins.
Candy.
Ain't they great?!

In time of test, family is best.
~Burmese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment